Psychologist Robert Brannon has four phrases (125-126) that he believes make up the definition of manhood. They are all so true. It's like every boy on his ten birthday gets sat down and explained these rules by the Manhood Monster and is threatened to follow them for the rest of his life. The one that bugs me the most is the one where boys aren't supposed to show emotion and not cry. I keep thinking that someday most guys will get over this but I am really starting to doubt it. Sure they might break down when no one else is looking, but if another guy is around, forget. It's too bad because it's really not healthy to keep things bottled up. They are so set on not letting emotions show and not talking about them they don't realize that there is a way around the pain. But the biggest issue is the first rule, that expressed men should not be at all feminine. For some reason this is the most important. But this also brings up an interesting point: "This notion of anti-femininity lies at the heart of contemporary and historical conceptions of manhood, so that masculinity is defined more by what one is not rather than who one is" (126). Simply, manhood is not feminine. Any ounce of feminine means you are not masculine. I always thought that when people ask me to describe myself or someone else, you talk about what IS, not what is NOT. I feel like this almost takes away from the person that male is because we're so focused on making sure he's not what he's not supposed to be.
I was really interested in this statement: "We become masculine by identifying with our oppressor" (130). This was following the segment about Freud's opinion on the topic. I never thought of the son being afraid of the father and identifying with him as an oppressor. This really shakes up the family ideals a lot of us have. I'm not sure if I want to believe Freud on this one, but anything could be possible.
I identified with this one a lot: "Our fears are the sources of our silences, and men's silence is what keeps the system running. This might help to explain why women often complain that their male friends or partners are often so understanding when they are alone and yet laugh at sexist jokes or even make those jokes themselves when they are out with a group" (131). This drives me absolutely crazy. Yeah, sure. Some sexist jokes are funny. But when they spew out of a guy's mouth nonstop and they generally get more and more offensive, it's time to stop. I don't take offense to most jokes because I know they do not pertain to me. However, that certainly doesn't mean I like hearing them. They get old real fast and become annoying. When people I know take things too far I always try to ask: who are you trying to impress? It never occurred to me how much guys want to impress each other. Perhaps it goes along with maturity. They say that women mature faster than men. Speaking for myself, I generally don't care the opinions people have of me. Of course there are moments when I care a lot and do things I wouldn't ordinarily do. But there are boundaries I will stay in. For guys, there are no boundaries. They will do whatever whenever (for the most part) to impress and fit in with other dudes.
This article was based on masculinity in American society. So I am walking away with a question. What about masculinity in other societies that treat non-males poorly? Will those men shoot a young girl in the head because she wants to be educated all to impress so other male higher up? I understand that some men view these acts of terror almost as a job or they do it because someone important told them to. But it's still unclear to me.
I agree with you that this is a very specific article based on masculinity in US American Society. I feel if an author is going to pontificate his supposed knowledge and assumptions on masculinity he should at least define the limiting parameters upfront!
ReplyDeleteThe statement, "We become masculine by identifying with our oppressor" (130) also stood out in my mind. My Dad was definitely an oppressor. In a sense, I feel my brother who is gay, definitely rejected identifying with my father and may have identified with my mother. I do not see this applying to every heterosexual boy/man. I am sure none of my children male or female view their Dad as an oppressor.
I believe that is some societies, where non-males are treated poorly, males are growing up without any exposure and experience of communicating with girls, or having girls around. In Western civilization boys grow up learning of how to deal with girls and women from very young age and this impact their behaviors. There is much of gender inequality in the world. Many girls and women do not have basic rights.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that men cannot show any kind of weakness especially around other men. If a man breaks down and starts crying in front of other guys then you are going to be looked upon differently because you are a guy crying. Masculinity was the theme throughout the article and stressed how men should act in front of other men and how men should act in general. I know what you mean when a guy keeps talking and should stop but always takes it too far and should be stopped ahead of time. I know when I am with my friends and someone takes it to far then I tell them to stop and back off because what you are saying is wrong. When boys hit that age everything changes for them on how to act and how to become a man because this is the way you are going to be looked upon in the world as a guy.
ReplyDelete