The first chapter of this book was
scary to take in as truth. I knew that segregation still existed, but
not in the ways described here. And I certainly had no idea that
places were considering re-segregating! But the arguments make sense.
Things still aren't fair. African American male students spend more
time getting in trouble than learning in their schools. There is a
way out though: “only when individual classrooms are desegregated
is there an improvement in the achievement levels of African American
students.” (7). This strongly connects with the idea of
multicultural education that we've been talking about in class. We
need to have students of different backgrounds meeting and
interacting in the actual classroom, and have them actually doing
things together; just having it down on paper that a school is
integrated means nothing.
The more I read about teachers
struggling to teach in a diverse classroom, the more interesting it
gets. A lot of current teachers feel as though they need to look at
their classrooms and say, “Okay. My class is culturally and
ethnically diverse. But I need to pretend it isn't. I need to pretend
to not see the color differences.” Of course there are the teachers
that aren't afraid to admit that they do see the color differences
(like the teachers on pages 22-23) and tend to “feel sorry” for
the black students that supposedly don't know how to behave or learn
well enough. But what we're learning now is that yes, we do need to
acknowledge that different races and cultures in our classrooms, and
appreciate them for what they are, not feel bad for students because
they are different. It connects to the expectations we have of all
our students- we need to have high expectations if students are going
to learn anything. No one should be left out of that. No one should
be felt sorry for in this regard.
I liked the ideas in chapter four,
about the classroom being a family. In the majority of cultures and
families, children and students are always wanting to make their
parents proud, or do something to impress their parents. Bringing
that into the classroom, and having students become a family could be
a life-changing thing. It probably wouldn't get rid of bullying, but
it could significantly reduce it. Reducing bullying could make a
world of a difference to those students who feel they are different
because of their home-life: race, culture, etc.
This idea of culturally relevant
teaching is so important, I think. It takes individual differences
and cultural diversity into account, which are things generally
overlooked in the classroom. We need to stop trying to make all
students the same. We need to stop pretending that everyone learns
the same way and that the same lessons will work year after year.
Each new school year filled with new, diverse students is going to
bring a new and exciting journey in our lives as teachers. We should
be welcoming that. Keeping culture and society relevant to the
classroom and our students will help to enhance their learning. So I
go back to the beginning of my post. Is it a good idea for African
American students to stay among their own in terms of education? I
want to say no, but until we can desegregate our individual
classrooms and make changes on a cultural level, we aren't going to
see anything change.
Briana,
ReplyDeleteI liked Chapter 4 as well. This past week, I was in a class where one of the students got chosen to read her poem over the morning news. I was excited for her, but I didn't know how to get the other students as excited for her without them feeling left out. I think the idea of treating the class as a family addresses this dilemma. When your brother or sister wins an award or a game everyone in the family can be proud and share in the accomplishment.
I like the idea of the classroom being a family because some of the students that is the closes thing that they have to a family. Some students might look forward going to school because there are people their to talk to and feel like their are people there that care about them. I also like to think that we do not see color in the classroom but unfortunately we do and we have to try and get away from it. We do need to hold the same standard for all of our students and not change our standards based on the kids skin color because we think they need more help.
ReplyDeleteBriana, I like what you said in your blog and how you defined the problem in the beginning as segregation still existed. I also like the way you describe how teachers should act to make all students feel like a part of a big family.
ReplyDeleteMy kids teacher sent out an email last night addressed to "here second family" checking in to make sure everyone was doing OK. I do think your students become your second family, and treating the class as a family provides some security and support many students don't have anywhere else.
ReplyDeleteI also really liked chapter 4. I had not thought about how making the classroom into a family would effect bullying, but I agree with you that creating unity within the classroom would help decrease bullying. I think teachers tend to view their students as their second family, but I think the challenge is to create an environment where your students will feel the same way about you and their classmates. However, I definitely think that it is possible to accomplish this in the classroom and I hope that I will be able to create a family environment in my future classrooms.
ReplyDelete